Unlike the one that ended in May 2021, the province-wide curfew that went into effect on Friday does not include an exception allowing people to walk their dog between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m., Canadian Press has confirmed.
The decree for the previous curfew specified a person would be permitted outside after hours for the purpose of walking a dog, so long as they stayed within one kilometre of their residence.
Other exceptions to the previous curfew, such as going to a gas station or accompanying someone in need of help, are still included in the new decree.
"As currently drafted in the ministerial decree, the fact of leaving your residence to walk your dog is not one of the exceptions to go out outside of curfew hours,” the ministry of Health and Social Services said in an email to Presse Canadienne.
“However, it is the government’s intention to include this missing exception again as soon as possible,” added spokesperson Marie-Hélène Émond.
Here is a list of the curfew's current exceptions:
- A person whose presence is essential on the premises of his work or who must ensure the transport of the goods necessary for the pursuit of the activities of his company.
- A person who goes to a pharmacy to obtain drugs or pharmaceutical, hygienic or sanitary products.
- A person who has to go to or from the hospital or clinic, to the dentist, optometrist, or from there.
- Someone who needs to go to or from a vaccination clinic.
- A person who has to go to the bedside of a sick or injured relative.
- A student who must participate in a face-to-face evening course or in a laboratory in a recognized school.
- A parent who must escort his child or children to the other parent who has custody of them.
- A person who, to get to his destination after his trip, must take a bus providing interregional or interprovincial service, a train, plane or ship providing the Matane – Baie-Comeau – Godbout ferry service , Harrington Harbor – Chevery, Rivière Saint-Augustin or Île d'Entrée – Cap-aux-Meules or the maritime service of Île-de-la-Madeleine or Île d'Anticosti and the Lower North Shore of the Société des traversiers du Québec network.