top of page
  • Writer's pictureWest Island News

Rise in carbon monoxide poisoning after a powerless weekend for many West Islanders.

The CIUSSS de l’Ouest-de-l’Île-de-Montréal is reporting an increase in visits to the Lakeshore General Hospital Emergency Department related to carbon monoxide poisoning.

PHOTO: City of Dollard-des-Ormeaux

24,000 customers on the island of Montreal are without power. While 16,400 of the 18,000 homes in Dollard-des-Ormeaux have been successfully reconnected, there are still 1,600 dwellings in the dark. Many Beaconsfield residents spent Easter Sunday without power; as of 11:30 am on April 9, easily 50% were powerless. Pierrefonds-Roxboro Mayor, Jim Beis, posted an update to his Facebook page last evening,

"Following my conversation with our Hydro Quebec representative this afternoon, we now know that they hope to have power restored to 95% of the cases by midnight tonight (April 9th). We remain optimistic and understand that for the 3000+ homes in our community that remain, some have complex issues to solve that may take longer. We will let the community know as soon as we know this or have additional information."

The CIUSSS de l’Ouest-de-l’Île-de-Montréal would like to remind the public that space heaters or cooking appliances are a risk for poisoning. Fuel-burning appliances such as oil, gas, wood, gasoline, coal, or propane should not be used indoors, nor should appliances intended for outdoor use, such as barbecues and camping equipment, be used as an alternative source of heat.

As of April 8, there were 127 reports or individual declarations of carbon monoxide poisoning on the island of Montreal. The majority of the 44 situations involve several people. The neighborhoods and boroughs most affected include Lasalle, Montreal North, St-Laurent, Ahuntsic, Pierrefonds, and Parc-Extension, as well as the city of Dollard-des-Ormeaux.

PHOTO: Health Canada

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include; headache, dizziness, fatigue, visual disturbances, nausea and vomiting, and a loss of consciousness.

Upon noticing these symptoms, report carbon monoxide poisoning to the DRSP (Direction régionale de santé publique), call 514-528-2400, and ask to speak to the on-call environmental health worker (24 hours/7 days). Prompt reporting is important to respond quickly to the scene and prevent others from being exposed.

Remember that the cities and boroughs of the territory have also set up warming stations so that the population can go there to warm up if they wish.

For more information on carbon monoxide and its dangers, click here.

SOURCE: CIUSSS de l’Ouest-de-l’Île-de-Montréal


bottom of page